Thursday, September 10, 2015

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom

Share reading is quickly becoming one of my absolute favorite parts of our day.  Each week, I am choosing a new picture book to share with my class.  My goal is to not only teach reading skills, but to share some wonderful picture books and teach my students to love reading them!


Our second week of school, we read Chicka Chicka Boom Boom.

On day one, we read the story just for fun.  The kids absolutely love the repetition of it and the part where the "mommies and daddies and uncles and aunts" all kissed their booboos and wiped their knees.


Day two, we reread the story for fun.  Then each student decorated a large letter for the first letter of their first name.  We attached a sentence strip that said "is for _____" and they traced their name.



On day three, we read the story once more.  Then we made our coconut trees with foam letters to spell out our names.


Day four, we did a shared writing.  By this point, my kiddos basically had the story memorized.  I wrote onto chart paper, as the kids recited the basic lines "Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, Will there be enough room?"  As I wrote, we talked about how we start on the left and work our way right.  We talked about how we put spaces between each word.  We even practiced some one to one correspondence.

On day five, we did a retell of our story.  I gave each kid a letter of the alphabet.  My assistant and I took the extras.  We went through and decided which letter climbed the coconut tree first.  The student that had the first letter got to bring their letter up to our big coconut tree and put it on.  Then the next student, with the next letter and so on.  The kids loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment